FESTIVE FARE FOR HOLIDAY ENTERTAINING
Over the next several days I will be featuring some great recipes to change things up this Christmas. I’ll be posting some mains, sides and appetizers. This is today’s featured recipe. Come back over the next couple of days for some new ideas for the holidays.
Sambuca Oysters au Gratin
Turn your next holiday party into a festive gourmet feast with this unique and delicious oyster appetizer. Created by TV host and cookbook author, Sabrina Tutino, this recipe pairs oysters and warm, melted cheese with the light liquorice taste of sambuca. More great recipes can be found online at www.mozzarellissima.ca.
Servings 8 (3 oysters per person)
1 tbsp (15) butter
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1⁄4 cup (50 mL) Sambuca liqueur (white)
1 cup (250 mL) 35% cream
2 cups (500 mL) arugula, chopped
1⁄4 cup (50 mL) grated Saputo Parmesan cheese
24 oysters (Lucky Lime, Rasberry Point or Malpeque)
11⁄2 cups (375 mL) Saputo Mozzarellissima cheese, grated
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Coarse salt or crushed ice and lemon slices for serving
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chopped shallot and garlic and sauté gently, making sure they do not brown.
- Remove the saucepan from the burner and carefully deglaze the pan with the sambuca. If a flame appears, wait for it to extinguish, then place saucepan back on the burner. Add the cream and simmer for a couple of minutes, until cream reduces by half.
- Add the arugula, turn off burner and stir until leaves are wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Add the parmesan cheese and stir well.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Open the oysters and add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of sauce on each oyster. Place the oysters on a baking sheet and sprinkle with Mozzarellissima.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown. Serve on a bed of coarse salt or crushed ice with lemon slices.
- The sauce can be made the day before and kept in the fridge.